Planning and preparing for your photo shoot is a big part of the Boudoir experience and I want you to enjoy ever step of the process. Plus, getting ready for your session is the best excuse to take sometime to pamper yourself and get in some ME time. When was the last time you had any of that?
I give you permission to take some much needed time for yourself whether it be to finally book a facial, get some highlights put in, have a body scrub or just taking the time to lather your body with that expensive body lotion you never seam to use.
“Prepping for the shoot can be a great excuse to pamper yourself”
Here are a few tips to do (a month before and leading up to the day of your shoot) to ensure you are well prepared for your session and arrive ready to have some fun.
After our consultation, where I get to find out all your ideas an desires for the shoot, I will ask you to create a Pinterest board. This is a great way for you to find inspiration, get ideas for wardrobe and hair + makeup and be a little creative. I have many boudoir boards where you can find inspirations. Feel free to pin anything that catches your eye and doesn’t have to be boudoir related at all. Then you can share the board with me and we can go over what you came up with. If you have no idea and don’t think you are the creative type, don’t worry. This is not mandatory, it’s just to have a little fun creating your ideal shoot.
Once we have an idea of mood, clothing ideas, how you want your makeup applied and your hair styled, it will be time to get your wardrobe together. You have two options.
1. Go shopping in your own closet and use pieces that you love and feel good in. Here’s my “10 Ten Wardrobe Ideas guide” I put together to give you some inspiration. We can make anything look sexy it doesn’t have to be lingerie.
2. If you want to splurge and get yourself something new, go shopping! Have fun trying on different styles and colors and if you don’t know what you look good in then ask a knowledgeable salesperson.
I highly suggest asking a knowledgeable sales person in a lingerie store for their help and opinion.
They have a trained eye and will gladly fit you to ensure the proper garments for your body type. I have a list of boutiques I can guide you to for assistance.
We all know that photo shop can fix many out of the ordinary “imperfections” that pop up, but I suggest prepping the skin beforehand as best as you can to reduce the amount of post processing. I don’t do a lot of editing to my images to begin with, but if we can start with a good canvas then you will not need any extra “fixing”. Here are some helpful things you can do to ensure your skin and hair look it’s best and that you feel good in general…
- Get a facial (at a spa)
- Try a body scrub and facial scrub treatment (in-home)
- Start moisturizing you body with something decadent
- Get your teeth whitened (whitening strips work wonders)
- Start to increase your daily water intake
- Get a bikini/leg/armpit wax
- Get your roots/highlights touched up/hair trimmed
- Deep conditioning treatment (at home or salon)
- Treat yourself to a massage to relax
- Start moving your body with non strenuous exercise like yoga, pilates, walking, or this amazing practice called Qoya. It’s a great way to feel comfortable in your own skin!
You absolutely don’t need to do everything on this list. It’s not mandatory, but it will get you in the mood and we all know feeling and looking good will lead to being more relaxed in front of the camera which will give you natural and beautiful images!
Day of Shoot Checklist:
- Double check everything you will be bringing the night before and make sure that you leave plenty of time to get to the destination without stressing
- Eat something! You will need a lot of energy for all the posing. It can be a lot of work so please eat something!
- If you didn’t get a wax then shave necessary parts, legs, armpits, bikini area, etc.
- Come with a freshly washed and moisturized face and dry, clean hair so that my hair stylist/makeup artist can start right away.
- Don’t wear clothing with tight elastic bands that could leave a mark on your skin
Shoot time! This is where the fun begins…
If you want more info about designing and getting prepared for your shoot download my free Dream Shoot Planner and start dreaming up ways to pamper yourself before your shoot!